Year 2022 6-Month Review from President Gary McCauley
A brief overview of our past 6 months of service to the community. Rotary never takes a season off. Our winter and spring projects were all successful and we continued our community outreach.
In a loose chronological order we…………………
- January was Rotary month in the Essex Bank Lobby with a great display highlighting Rotary with Pattie, Pat, Kathy, and Bill M. providing memorabilia…
- Meals on wheels with the team of “8” headed by Charlie R. and Pete Z. didn’t miss a beat and delivered weekly..
- Rick Bassett acting DG visited us via zoom for an informative session..
- We hosted great guest speakers - First Selectman Carl Fortuna, Chief Spera, Author Mike Urban, State Representative Devin Carney, Bikes for Kids, Afghan Refugee support team from Lyme, Ghost Signs, and more…
- A shout out to Kathy C. and Jan P. for managing all things financial including a new accountant..
- Outreach under Joan’s leadership - we supported numerous projects both local and international - from lunches for summer students to helping to purchase a car for resettled Afghan refugees..
- Chamber of Commerce Chili Fest - we hosted many at our informational tent on Main Street..
- Wine & Beer Tasting & Silent Auction was a major success under Marty’s leadership and great supporting cast...
- Shred Day as part of the District Day of Service - John A. managed another successful event with a bigger truck..
- Paul Harris Dinner honoring Marty D. with a Sapphire Award for his dedication and commitment to Rotary..
- Tari Marshall-Day in coming District Governor spoke at the event
- Student of the Month - we continue to be amazed by the character and scholastic abilities of these young people..
- The Scholarship Committee under Amber’s leadership awarded $30,000 to nine students from the three communities..
- Our first “Brent Taylor Scholarship Award” winner was Nicolette H. from Old Lyme..
- Transfer Station Project is moving forward with Pat S. coordinating the effort. A sign has been installed promoting the project..
- Gazebo replacement project. Old Saybrook voters agreed to replace the existing structure. Rotary is part of the planning team..
- Summer Concert Series. With John G. and a musically talented support team we’ve taken on our second year as lead sponsor..
- New member - Liz Meyer joined Rotary in the spring. Welcome Liz..
- Installation of new officers for 2022 - 2023 on June 29th from 5:30 - 7:30 pm - Indian Town Club House.
President - Pat D.
VP/President Elect - Alan S
Treasurer - Kathy C.
Secretary - John G.
Sgt-at -Arms - Pete Z.
- Congratulations to Pat D. as he becomes President Pat. He’s spent a year listening, getting involved, and asking good questions …. He’s ready…...
- My personal thanks to each of you for being such great people. We are fortunate to have come together as Rotarians with a common cause to do good things. In all of our interactions we’ve embraced the Four Way Test and managed to have a lot of fun along the way. I’m looking forward to our continued collaboration as we work together for the good of our community.